|Makes about eight 3x4 pieces if granola.|
This recipe can be made a variety of ways, but I only used what I had in my pantry this morning. Oatmeal can be used to make the granola- I cheated by using a mix of granola and almonds which I normally use on my yogurt parfaits. I definately recommend using this "cheat" way because it is less time consuming and so much easier than starting from complete scratch.
I quickly realized the yogurt does not last very long outside of the freezer. It was melting faster than I could take pictures. I ate a piece and put the rest back in the freezer. I am thinking it will still be a great snack as long as the finished batch stays in the freezer until I am ready for another piece. :)
- 1 1/2 cups of granola mix*
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt*
*Note: I used Bear Naked Fit Vanilla and Almond 100% Natural & Pure Granola 4g sugar and for the Greek yogurt I used All Natural Fage 0%.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place dry granola mix (including almonds/any other preferred ingredient) in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, bring butter, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla to a simmer. Stir the whole time until it slightly thickens. Pour this mix over the dry granola in bowl. Stir and fold sides over so granola mix is entirely covered, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Place a sheet of parchment paper in a baking pan. Pour mix in the pan and smooth out with a spoon. Reduce heat to 300F and place baking pan in oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes. The granola bar will look as if it is melting before it becomes hard, so don't get nervous!
4. Let the granola bar cool in the pan for 2-3 hours before you take it off the parchment paper. When cooled, it should come off in one piece. Once this is done, set the whole bar aside. Keep the original parchment paper in the pan and spread a thin layer of yogurt along the bottom, where the granola bar will touch. If the granola bar is small and square, then make the yogurt spread small and square. When finished, place the whole granola back on top of the yogurt and gently press down. Place baking pan in freezer for about 1 hour or more if you can wait.
5. When ready, granola bar and yogurt should come off the parchment paper without sticking. Lay whole granola down and cut into preferred sizes. Keep uneaten pieces in the freezer to avoid the yogurt melting off. Enjoy!