Sunday, September 1, 2013
I have been trying to come up with new ways to add protein to my diet without eating meat. Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are high in protein and can be used in so many dishes. I started by roasting the chick peas in the oven (450F for 35-40 minutes) and refrigerated them overnight. The next day I made this super easy salad which has about 18 grams of protein per serving!
at 8:56 AM
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Monday, August 19, 2013
Saturday, August 17, 2013
What I love about this dish is that the ingredients are so common and I almost always have everything I need to make it for a last minute meal. I can understand that it might be easier to open a jar of salsa and pour it on top of some chicken and rice, but you aren't getting near the amount of nutrients you would be getting if you made it fresh and not to mention the added preservatives and mystery ingredients you'll find in the jar version. Trust me- take the extra 15 minutes and make it fresh; your body will thank you!
at 8:32 PM
Friday, August 16, 2013
5 ingredient hummus
Yields 1.5 cups
- 1 16-ounce can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, about 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 garlic clove
Begin by adding chick peas to the food processor. If you have a mini food processor like I do, you will want to add the chick peas in small batches until it's smooth. Add garlic, salt, lemon, and olive oil and continue to blend until fully smooth. You may need to add more lemon or olive oil depending on the specific taste and texture you desire. Serve with fresh veggies or pita bread and enjoy!
at 9:27 AM
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Making healthy smoothies is so easy and simple. Hardly any ingredients and you are still getting lots of nutrients and a satisfied hunger feeling.
Yields 1 serving
- 1 cup light organic vanilla soy milk (any type of milk will work)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp organic chia seed
- 1/2 cup blueberries (I prefer frozen to make the smoothie extra cold)
- 2-3 small/medium strawberries
Pour milk and optional protein powder in blender. Add strawberries, blueberries, and chia seed. Blend on high until completely smooth. Pour into a tall glass and enjoy!
at 8:59 AM
Saturday, March 23, 2013
|Makes about eight 3x4 pieces if granola.|
This recipe can be made a variety of ways, but I only used what I had in my pantry this morning. Oatmeal can be used to make the granola- I cheated by using a mix of granola and almonds which I normally use on my yogurt parfaits. I definately recommend using this "cheat" way because it is less time consuming and so much easier than starting from complete scratch.
I quickly realized the yogurt does not last very long outside of the freezer. It was melting faster than I could take pictures. I ate a piece and put the rest back in the freezer. I am thinking it will still be a great snack as long as the finished batch stays in the freezer until I am ready for another piece. :)
- 1 1/2 cups of granola mix*
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt*
*Note: I used Bear Naked Fit Vanilla and Almond 100% Natural & Pure Granola 4g sugar and for the Greek yogurt I used All Natural Fage 0%.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place dry granola mix (including almonds/any other preferred ingredient) in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, bring butter, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla to a simmer. Stir the whole time until it slightly thickens. Pour this mix over the dry granola in bowl. Stir and fold sides over so granola mix is entirely covered, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Place a sheet of parchment paper in a baking pan. Pour mix in the pan and smooth out with a spoon. Reduce heat to 300F and place baking pan in oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes. The granola bar will look as if it is melting before it becomes hard, so don't get nervous!
4. Let the granola bar cool in the pan for 2-3 hours before you take it off the parchment paper. When cooled, it should come off in one piece. Once this is done, set the whole bar aside. Keep the original parchment paper in the pan and spread a thin layer of yogurt along the bottom, where the granola bar will touch. If the granola bar is small and square, then make the yogurt spread small and square. When finished, place the whole granola back on top of the yogurt and gently press down. Place baking pan in freezer for about 1 hour or more if you can wait.
5. When ready, granola bar and yogurt should come off the parchment paper without sticking. Lay whole granola down and cut into preferred sizes. Keep uneaten pieces in the freezer to avoid the yogurt melting off. Enjoy!
Thursday, March 14, 2013
These Pinterest famous zucchini chips are just as good as they look! I've repined similar recipes over and over until I finally decided it was time to try them. I substituted the breadcrumbs for plain ritz crackers and used a food processor to turn them into crumbs. They are a perfect midday snack or can be a fun dish to bring to a football party!
|Makes about 35 chips.|
- 2 large zucchinis
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs (smashed crackers can be substituted)
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Greek Yogurt Basil Sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (I used fage 0%)
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp Alessi dipping spices (Italian blend of spices & garlic)
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Prepare the zucchini by slicing it at a slight angle, so each slice is a long thin chip.
3. Crack egg whites in a small dish. Stir a few times and set aside. Prepare breadcrumbs (either by smashing crackers or regular breadcrumbs) and place in another small dish or shallow bowl.
4. Drizzle olive oil over a large baking sheet. Dip zucchini, one slice at a time, in egg whites and then breadcrumbs, covering both sides thoroughly. If you prefer extra crispy, dip them in egg whites and crumbs a second time.
5. Lay each zucchini flat on the baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until desired crispness!
Greek Yogurt Basil Sauce:
1. Combine yogurt, basil, spices, and lemon juice in a small serving dish.
2. Mix well and chill before serving.